Simplexpression’s New Wordmark

Simplexpression is my wife’s online jewelry store. Since the initial launch in 2009, I worked closely with her on the branding and the site design and development.

Over the years, I kept refining the wordmark. I wanted it to be simple yet somewhat expressive. Yet I hadn’t quite got there until the latest redesign.

The new wordmark combines Poetica and Adobe Kis, both typefaces designed by Robert Slimbach. Adobe Kis is simple and elegant. Poetica adds a bit of flare to Adobe Kis. Since they were both designed by Slimbach, their proportions and structures matched effortlessly.

I am happy with the new wordmark. I finally found what I had been looking for so many years.

New Typographic Sample: Đinh Cường

After reading what Trịnh Công Sơn had to say about his artist friend, I decided to put together a tribute page for Đinh Cường, whose website I designed more than a decade ago. I also would like to present some of his oil-on-canvas masterpieces. I created an art-direction sample with the integration of typography and imagery. For typesetting, I chose Platypi, designed by David Sargent, for its quirky features such as the contrast between sharp and heavy serifs and intriguing visual rhythms. Take a look: “Đinh Cường: Thi sĩ của hoài niệm

I Love Ngoc Lan Gets New Typefaces

I gave a new set of typefaces. Body copy is set in Platypi, designed by David Sargent. Headlines, UI elements, and small texts are set in Bricolage Grotesque, designed by Mathieu Triay. Just wanted to jazz the site up a bit.

Visualgui 2024: Euchre & Lavishe

Here’s the sixth iteration of this blog. I just copped a license of Euchre, designed by Jackson Showalter-Cavanaugh, and I just couldn’t wait to use it. Euchre goes well with Lavishe, designed by Dương Trần.

I am also returning to readability first. The previous iteration was cool, but could be a bit hard to read. I still like to change it up once in a while. I think I’ll stick with this design for a bit. Then again, maybe I won’t.

We’ll see how it goes. This iteration is quieter, but good for reading the text. I hope you enjoy it.

New Typographic Sample: “Bonjour Vietnam”

On February 4, 2006, I launched a slideshow based on “Bonjour Vietnam,” a French song recorded by Phạm Quỳnh Anh. With gorgeous photography of Vietnam accompanying beautiful melody, the slideshow went viral around the world. Now, 18 years later, I revisit the project and put together a sample page for my Vietnamese Typography book site. The main text is set in Herbik, designed by Daniel Veneklaas, and display text is set in Lavishe, designed by Dương Trần.

Pro Web Type

I was just making some edits to my web book and ended up changing the title from Professional Web Typography to Pro Web Type. The main reason was that Professional Web Typography was so hard to set on the homepage. The way the three words broke, which had a huge gap in the middle, bugged me. I couldn’t set the cover as big as I could. Pro Web Type is shorter and matched the web address of the book; therefore, I just went for it. Obviously I had to make some visual changes as well to make it look good.

New Typographic Sample: Lời nhắn (Messages)

In her book titled Mỗi ngày gửi cậu một cái ôm (Each Day I Send You a Hug), Là Trang shares 108 positive, thoughtful messages to the youths to help them navigate through life. Even as an adult, I find her words compelling; therefore, I quoted a few lines and added my own English translation. I created this sample page to share her positive thoughts. For typesetting, I selected Montagu Slab, designed by Florian Karsten.

New Typographic Sample: Groovy Guide to Life

I was reading Pete the Cat’s Groovy Guide to Life, by Kimberly and James Dean, with my five-year-old son, who chose the book from the library, and falling in love with the quotes the author had compiled. I decided to translate the quotes into Vietnamese and created a sample page with both languages. To make it groovy, I chose vibrant colors for each quote and typeset in Calistoga, designed by Yvonne Schüttler and Eben Sorkin, combined with Neue DIN, by Hendrik Weber, Andreas Frohloff, and Olli Meier. Check out Hướng dẫn đi đến nếp sống hấp dẫn.

A Few Updates

I added SLS Network to my case studies.

I redesigned the lock-up for the 24th Annual Judicial & Legislative Reception. I reduced the typeface to Minion Display.

I revealed the beautiful designer behind Simplexpression.

I created a new Vietnamese typography sample.

I made the logo much bigger at the bottom. I also added a red bow on top of it.

New Sample: Lì Quá

Anh Cầm Fact’s Lì Quá Để Nói Quài is a pocket-size book filled with Vietnamese quips and wordplays. I enjoyed the prose so much that I had to create a sample page with my personal favorite quotes. The page is typeset in Bricolage Grotesque, by Mathieu Triay. Enjoy the quotes!