Presentation from Shari Thurow at Computer in Library 2014
Searchers on mobile
- Quick fact
- Personal information
What searchers expect
Use elevator as an example to guide users.
Usability tips for labeling
- Don’t put prompt text in text form. Leave form empty. Put help text underneath
- Provide the right contexts
- A label must be representative of a page and section content on a web website
- Page title is important for findability. Lead with most important word
- Name your image with context. Example: not logo.jpg, but mason-law-school-logo.jpg
- Don’t use gray for navigation.
- document (descriptive)
- navigation (concise)
- content (both)
For responsive design on mobile, provide full desktop site. (I am not sure how to accomplish that since the whole point of responsive design is to adapt to different devices.